Apr 13, 2008

3 Signs You May be a Victim of Tax-Related Fraud

The following is a guest post from ID theft expert Brian Lapidus, chief operating officer of Kroll’s Fraud Solutions.


1. You are unable to file your return electronically, because a prior return included your SSN.

Take Action:
Submit your return by paper and include proof of SSN ownership (i.e., a registered letter from the Social Security Administration).
2. You have received a W2 or 1099 form from a company with whom you have never been employed nor had a financial relationship.

Take action:
Contact the company in question by phone, with a follow-up letter, to request a corrected W2 or 1099, maintaining call notes and copies of all related documentation. If receipt of document was not due to an error by reporting company, file a police report.

Maintain records until you receive a notice from the IRS.
3. You received a notice from the IRS advising you of unclaimed wages or income.

Take action:
Contact the assigned IRS agent listed on the notification. He/she will work with you to ensure that you are not held liable for any fraud-related or errant wages/earnings.

If you do not notify the IRS of a dispute, the IRS will assume the reporting is accurate. As a result, the wages/income will be processed and the IRS will send you a bill. Continued failure to notify the IRS can result in wage garnishment or tax levies.

Follow all instructions and provide all information or documentation to the assigned IRS agent, as requested.

No comments: