Have I mentioned that my oldest is going into fifth grade this year? And that I’m a little freaked out about finding him a good middle school placement? And about middle school in general?
I’ve watched his older friends and their parents navigate that road this past year, and one thing I’ve noticed is that this is the time when most kids get their own cell phone. It makes sense, because as your child becomes more independent, it’s reassuring to be able to reach them at any time, and for them to be able to reach you. It’s such an easy way to let them know you’re running late, or for them to tell you that they’re ready to be picked up. Plus, they’re at the age when they want to be in constant contact with their friends.
Knowing that this is on the horizon for us, I’ve started scoping out options. We might add a phone to our existing plan, but it’s a grandfathered plan that’s great for me (unlimited data!) and not for new lines. So it’s nice to know that there are alternatives like the T-Mobile Simple Choice plan, which starts at $50 for unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of 4G LTE data (and there are no overages or annual service contracts).
Here are the highlights, which makes this a great plan not just for kids but for adults too:
- Unlimited calls and text to and from any number, including mobile phones, in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. You can also use your monthly 4G LTE data in Mexico and Canada (like in the U.S.) at no extra charge!
- Music Freedom™ with unlimited music streaming on the T-Mobile network from top services such as Pandora and iHeart Radio without using your data (this is huge for kids!)
- Unlimited data and texting when you travel to any of 120+ countries and destinations so you can stay connected when you’re abroad (I wish I’d had this when I was in Japan!)
- Wi-Fi Calling makes every Wi-Fi connection work like a T-Mobile tower
- Smartphone mobile hotspot lets you use your device as a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Add a tablet or hotspot to existing plans for $10 per month
- Upgrade to the latest devices earlier and more often while also protecting your investment with Premium Handset Protection® and Lookout Mobile Security® Premium ($10 per month)
- Data Stash™ rolls your unused 4G LTE data forward to the next month, for domestic use in the next 12 months (available with 3GB and 5GB data options)
Get the Simple Choice Plan here for just $50 per month!
Have you given your child his or her own phone yet? How old were they, and what kind of plan did you get?