I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make, and requires so few ingredients, yet it’s delicious and impressive. I really like the puff pastry from Trader Joe’s, which has a pretty minimal ingredient list and no trans fats.
Easy Apple Tarte Tatin
6 large Gala apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
pinch of salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1. Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into 8 wedges, and toss with the lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a 10-inch oven proof skillet (preferably nonstick), melt the butter over medium-high heat.
3. Add the sugar to the butter and stir until the sugar start to melt. Remove the skillet from heat and place apple wedges in the pan rounded side down, in a circular pattern. Fill the middle with apple wedges rounded side down. Add the remaining apples to the skillet, rounded side up. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
4. Roll out the puff pastry and place over the apples to cover. Tuck corners under and make 3 slits in the middle to release steam. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
5. Using an oven mitt, remove the skillet from the oven and let cool on stove top for 15 minutes. Cover with a plate and invert the tart onto the plate to serve. (You might want to do this over the sink in case any of the liquid falls out during the flipping process – yes, I’m speaking from experience.) Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Banner ad via Escalate Media Network