• Take this short reader survey and be entered to win one of two Mystery Boxes of Goodies!
  • Enter for a chance to win a $25 GAP Options gift card!
  • Rent over 20,000 videos for $1.99 or less at Amazon.

• Emergency Cooking Challenge: Use up 1 gallon of milk

I just discovered an unopened gallon of milk that expired on Friday that I want to use up today. I have to take the boys to a birthday party in a few minutes, but when I get home, I plan to cook up a storm. On my list so far are:

2 loaves of Whole Wheat Milk Bread (our favorite homemade sandwich bread – recipe to come later)
    double recipe of Waffles
    pudding (chocolate and vanilla)

I’m probably going to need one more recipe. Any suggestions?

Comments

1. if pudding wasn't already on your list i definitely would've add it. but i'd just drink the rest. my last bottle of milk didn't actually go bad until a week after the expiration date.

2. Kristia@FamilyBalanceSheet says:

is it whole, part, or skim? you could make ice cream, although whole would be better. Can you freeze it for later use?

@Carrie – I've already got drinking milk that's about to expire. I'm not sure what's happened, but we must be consuming less milk, because my shopping is all off!

@Krista – It's 1%, I think. I do have cream, though, so I guess I could combine the two. I'd better the ice cream machine in the freezer, stat. Thanks!

4. Macaroni and Cheese. It always uses a lot of milk, it keeps well and usually kids love it.

5. Potato Soup uses a good bit of milk. It's tasty but I'm not sure how much kids like it.

@Kristia – Sorry I misspelled your name the first time!

@juau4 – Hmm, maybe I'll make some for dinner this week. Thanks!

@ras – Why didn't I think of that?

8. Gina @ MoneywiseMoms says:

I'm pretty sure you can freeze milk. Just save some for a later batch of waffles or whatever.

9. Make some brownies. Pour big glasses of milk to wash 'em down :)

10. Camille says:

I recently cut back to a half gallon a milk because we just weren't going through it all fast enough. I ended up in the same predicament! You can freeze milk if you end up with a lot leftover!

11. Jennifer I says:

Yogurt.

12. Anonymous says:

This won't help this time but in the future. I collected 8 of the Coffeemate creamer container (1 qt plastic). I always buy two gallons, due to the price cut. When I get home, I pour into the containers and freeze seven of them. When the container in the fridge gets about half full, I pull out a frozen one. By the time it is defrosted, we have finished the other. I placed a stickee on the outside of the fridge with the date I put it in the fridge. I have at least a week in the fridge. Now, I always have milk.

13. I'm a bit late with this, but have you ever tried 5-Minute Ice Cream? It calls for heavy cream, but I always use whatever milk I have in the house. Cut back on the vanilla, too.

I have no affiliation with this – I just love it.