• Enter to win one of two $25 Target Bean Bag gift cards!
  • Rent over 20,000 videos for $1.99 or less at Amazon.

• Extreme money-saving tip: Cook in your car

Last year, I saw a Serious Eats post about a woman who baked cookies on her dashboard. And today, Serious Eats posted about a man who cooked salmon en papillote in his car’s engine. Apparently, there’s even a book devoted to this cooking method: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine.

I have to admit, I’m tempted to try baking cookies in my car. The weather certainly gets hot enough here that I could do it. But I park in a garage almost all the time, so I probably won’t go out of my way to do this.

On the other hand, if money was very, very tight, I would consider cooking in my car as a cost-saving measure.

Would you?

Image credit: BakingBites.com.

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

This is bordering the line between frugal and cheap. I would never do this… I think it’s more on the cheap side. Sorry!

2. Dedicated says:

From my side, I saw “wow, this would be fun.” Not cheap at all.

I could just see me and my kids when they were younger trying this out, while we took a walk or went to the forest preserve.

As a mom, I definitely would have added this to our “fun, let’s try it list”.

3. I wouldn’t want my car smelling like cookies. It would increase my appetite. I have asked my dh about making a solar oven but we really haven’t looked into it.

@anon – No apology necessary. I would only do this on a regular basis if I was really desperate to cut costs. But I love Dedicated’s experimental perspective.

@Dedicated – I totally agree, this will make a fun experiment (though Marc may kill me for making the car smell of cookies)!

@Katy – Good point. Hm, I’ll have to look into the solar oven thing. The little I know about it is what I picked up from watching of the defunct Ed Begley Jr. show on HGTV when it was on. :)

5. Kim Moldofsky says:

Interesting, but what about those toxic fumes that supposedly rise up from the dashboard when the car sits in the sun?

BTW, life insurance posts are still in the queue. I haven’t forgotten :-)

6. Ethan @ Self Improvement Mentor says:

I’ve seen things like this and must admit that I am quite fascinated by it. Having said that, I don’t think I’m quite ready to try it out yet.

It’s nothing abt being cheap or whatever, but just concerned about the hygiene of getting stuff cooked in a car. Maybe I’ll change my mind after I’ve actually seen it up close.

7. Anonymous says:

If I was to the point where I resulted in using my car to cook, I certainly wouldn’t be buying cookie dough with whatever money I had.