I’ve been cooking quite a bit lately. Doing a weekly menu helps, though some weeks I am more organized than others (hopefully Unclutter’s worksheet will help in that regard). My challenges include:
- No spicy dishes (so the boys can eat too).
- No nut ingredients, unless added at the end as a topping (to prevent food allergies in the boys, especially Tyler since he’s still so young).
- Marc must have variety.
- Animal protein is preferred, especially my little carnivore (who ate a huge serving of meatloaf tonight).
I will occasionally make something just for Marc and me, particularly a side dish. This slaw was one of those dishes, and I liked it so much, I ate almost all of the leftovers by myself.
2 cups chopped Braeburn apple (about 1 large apple) (I used a Gala apple, since that is our preferred apple when it comes to taste.)
1 cup chopped peeled Bartlett pear (about 1 pear) (I used a D’Anjou pear, because that was what we had on hand.)
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw (I used a broccoli slaw, since I don’t like cabbage that much, and it was fantastic. I also added some shredded carrots.)
1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (Use a Meyer lemon if you can find one!)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, rind, juice, salt, and pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Note: I combined the wet ingredients and spices in a bowl the night before, then added the apple, pear, slaw, carrots, and raisins when I got home from work and let it marinate while I finished dinner. It would be fine to make it the night before though, since it was even more delicious the next day.
CALORIES 89(33% from fat); FAT 3.3g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.3g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 1.7g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 44mg; SODIUM 187mg; FIBER 1.2g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.4g