- Fire up your vegetables. – If you don’t have time to grill, you can buy already grilled vegetables at Trader Joe’s (it’s with the pre-made salads). And of course, jarred roasted bell peppers are available just about anywhere these days.
- Experiment with cheeses. – Many supermarkets offer a wide variety of cheeses but the exotic ones can get pricy. Again, I recommend Trader Joe’s – they have a good selection at great prices. Better yet, find a store that specializes in cheese. They will often let you sample the different cheeses and recommend accompaniments.
- Gain from other whole grains. – I love experimenting with breads in my sandwiches. One of my favorite sandwiches is a grilled cheese made with Whole Foods’ Organic Old World Muesli Bread.
- Choose better meats. – I like Boar’s Head brand meats, and some of the nitrate-free deli meats at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Don’t forget about fish, too. I made an anchovy sandwich last week from Chocolate & Zucchini that was delicious!
- Spread on flavor. – I love my Easy Thousand Island Sandwich Spread (which admittedly isn’t particularly healthy – but it is delicious!) and my Avocado Mousse. I also like using olive oil instead of mayo.
- Make a loaf last. – Eventually, I hope to make all of our bread from scratch. Well, maybe not all. But a lot. (Why? Because it’s fun!) In the meantime, I buy par-baked rolls and bake them in the toaster oven two at time for a freshly baked taste.
WHAT'S HOT RIGHT NOW: