This is another one of our favorite recipes. The ingredients list is long, but half of it is for the cornbread. You can use half of a package of prepared cornbread mix instead.
Tex-Mex Cornbread Pizza
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry, white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 pound lean ground beef
1 1.25-oz package taco seasoning (I’m partial to Taco Bell brand)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded jack cheese
3 cups mixed lettuces, shredded
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a medium nonstick skillet or a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, oil and egg white.
3. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. While the cornbread is baking, brown the ground beef over medium high heat. Drain the beef, return to heat and add water and taco seasoning. Stir frequently until well combined and water has mostly evaporated.
5. Pour the beef mixture over the cornbread and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, broil for 2 minutes to brown cheese.
6. While beef and cornbread are baking, combine the lettuces, tomatoes and avocado in a medium bowl. Drizzle olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper onto the vegetables and toss.
7. Cut the cornbread pizza into wedges and serve topped with the salad mixture.