Sesame Soba & Tofu With Asparagus
14 oz. extra firm tofu
3 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon chili flakes
8 oz. soba noodles
12 oz. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
1. Drain the tofu and wrap it tightly in a kitchen towel. Put on a plate and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
2. Combine 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and chili flakes in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over medium low.
3. Cook the soba noodles according to package directions. Add the asparagus for the last two minutes. Drain and return to pot.
4. While the soba is cooking, cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss the tofu with the sesame seeds so the sesame seeds adhere to the tofu.
5. Heat 3 teaspoons of sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the tofu and saute until browned on all sides, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add the tofu and reduced sauce mixture to the soba and asparagus. Toss to combine.